Thursday, May 24, 2012

Does One Tweet -- And One Tweet Alone -- Mean You Broke The Story?

I enjoyed a healthy exchange today with a reader who wanted to know how respected Journalist B could have the balls to post an exclusive story based on a rumor that respected Journalist A tweeted – and only tweeted. I didn’t really understand why this was even a debate. How could running with something that started out as just “I heard…” from someone else be considered dodgy? I mean, isn't that the whole point of being a reporter -- to hear about things and then pursue them? So I asked again to be clear…”You mean, someone heard a tip, pushed it out on Twitter…and that means it’s theirs alone?

Boy, what a slippery slope. So I ask: Are we now at the point where one mere shout-out means a person has all claims of exclusivity? In that case, I’m telling you now that I think Kobe Bryant may retire in the future. So I hope everyone remembers to credit me with the break.

I can’t be alone in this. I just don’t think telling your followers that you “heard something” signifies a clean scoop. So stop tipping your hand by even doing that and get a story -- any story -- up instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment