Sunday, May 20, 2012

REVIEWING THE REVIEWS: Variety Wins -- But The Bosses Owe Their Critics A Lot More

If you've read me at all during the past two weeks, you know I'm all about separation. To evolve means to differentiate yourself. Especially in the entertainment trade world, where everyone has (mostly) the same crap. So when I see separation, it makes me happy...and Variety's Cannes reviews indeed make me happy. Their critics' breadth is unmatched, the staff travels very well, and it's the one editorial area that the publication truly dominates. So that's the good news. The frustrating reality: I just don't know why the organization's leaders do their best to hide that domination.

Forget the paywall for a moment. Just in terms of volume, Variety blankets festivals better than anyone else I've read. So it blows my mind that, considering the army of critics who are in Cannes, there isn't more attention paid to presentation, site location and overall mojo. We all know that editorial doesn't necessarily drive viewership traffic. But in-your-face delivery certainly can. Alas, at 9:20 p.m., there was exactly ONE review on their homepage ("The Sapphires.") One. Why on earth do you have so many people on the Croisette/on retainer/around the world if you're not going to do them right for an audience hungry for criticism? Show the world what you have. Show your readers. Show your future owners. Kick ass on behalf of your critics. They deserve it.

2 comments:

  1. That's because their home page design hasn't fundamentally changed in four years and they are extremely limited by the rigidity of that page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good point. But the paper is the same way. I don't think I've seen a film review on the front page of Variety in years.

      Delete